Wednesday, June 10, 2015

PowerShell script | Keep version | TFS 2013

Hi,

I made some scripts in the past 2 weeks and I realised this week, I have a problem of keeping version of it. So I do some search and I found this article : Protect Your PowerShell Scripts with Version Control

This saves my life... :)

Now I can keep version of my script. But here some tricks and infos I found when I configure it :


  1. Yes, that's worked with the free version of Visual Studio. I used VS Community 2013.
  2. If you used VS 2013, you need to install Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013.
  3. Don't forget to create your Visual Studio Online Account
  4. For VS 2013, you need to install : Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013 Power Tools
  5. In the article, they use PowerShell commands to manage the version and the files. If you're beginner with that, like me, I preferred the visual interface to manage my files and do my check in.
    Visual Studio 2013 - Team Explorer
  6. Don't forget to add comments for each check in. That's helped a lot when you want to retrace a version.
  7. Have fun to explore all options you can do with the TFS and Visual Studio.
  8. You can install PowerShell Tools for Visual Studio. That's allow you to script PowerShell directly in Visual Studio. (I tried it, but I still emotionally attached to my ISE.)

I hope this can help you to start keeping versions of your scripts.
Please, feel free to leave comments.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment